china buying software

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 22 04:57:37 UTC 2011

On 21/01/2011 20:15, David Gerard wrote:
> On 21 January 2011 04:52, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>> On 21/01/2011 15:35, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> But can you get the source?
>> No idea. Haven't bothered to look - have had no need to do so. All I cared
>> about is that it is using Linux -HEY! :-) . But if I am forced I'll have to
>> get off my butt and go find the instructions booklet :-) .
>
> Go on. Get the source from them just for practice, for you and them ;-)

I was a bit "off" when I stated that the GPL was an Appendix to the
instructions manual - it's actually an Appendix to the Owner's Manual
which comes on a CD.

OK, now that this is out of the way......

Here is the full text of what is on the CD re the source code, and this
is all yous gonna get as I ain't prepared to pay for no stinkeen sauce
kode on a CD :-) :

QUOTE

The following GPL executables and LGPL/MPL libraries used in this
product are subject to the
GPL2.0/LGPL2.1/MPL1.1 License Agreements:
GPL EXECUTABLES:
• Linux kernel 2.6
• busybox
• lzo
LGPL LIBRARIES:
• uClibc
MPL LIBRARIES:
• Nanox
LG Electronics offers to provide source code to you on CD-ROM for a
charge covering the cost of performing
such distribution, such as the cost of media, shipping and handling upon
e-mail request to LG Electronics at:
opensource at lge.com
This offer is valid for a period of three(3) years from the date of the
distribution of this product by LG
Electronics.
You can obtain a copy of the GPL, LGPL, MPL licenses from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-
2.0.html, http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html,
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html.
Also you can obtain the translation of GPL, LGPL licenses from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-
2.0-translations.html,
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1-translations.html.
This software is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group
copyright © 1991 – 1998, Thomas
G. Lane.
This product includes
• libpng library : copyright © 2004 Glenn Randers-Pehrson
• Zlib compression library: Copyright © 1995-2002 Jean-loup Gailly and
Mark Adler.
• Tinyxml library : copyright (c) 2000-2006 Lee Thomason

UNQUOTE

BC

--
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial[-congressional*] complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist......Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."
(* in the draft of speech, later removed) President D. Eisenhower, 17 January 1961