china buying software

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 02:55:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:55 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 21/01/2011 06:20, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
>> <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Just so.  I've often thought that Linux does more to prevent software
>>> piracy that anything else.  Those FUD-spreaders who suggest otherwise
>>> are talking out their..  other orifices.
>>
>> Mine own thought! :¬)
>>
>> Such as been the success of the mental-imprinting of MICROS~1 and
>> others that now innocent IT industry people who think they're experts
>> spout the corporate FUD and B/S:
>>
>> "If it's free, it can't be any good."
>> "It's not legal for businesses to use it."
>> "Free Software is public domain."
>> "You don't get any support."
>>
>> And all the other tired old lies, /et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseam./
>
> I believe that you occasionally make some sort of a contribution to the
> online IT "mag" called 'The Register'.
>
> If so, have you pressed this point so as to educate the readers of The
> Register of what you believe to be the case as expressed above?
>
> Or is the begetting of the "filthy lucre" a much bigger incentive than moral
> convictions?

Er, I'm not sure what you're getting at here, Basil.

I write for money, yes, and about anything I can get paid for, pretty much.

I have done internal case-studies and white-papers for a number of
large corporations, for quite a lot of money, as it happens. Whether I
am /interested/ in that sort of thing is entirely academic.

For the Reg?

Well, mostly, actually, I have been writing about Linux. I did 3
pieces on how and why to use Ubuntu, then 4 pieces on choosing between
easy server distros, recommending any of them over Windows Small
Business Server.

If you can suggest any more angles, please do.

Microsoft-bashing, I reserve for my private blog. If one is handing
out accusations of a certain large Redmond-based software company
being a bunch of lying, cheating, stealing bastards, then one finds it
quite hard to sell copy. Even if it is true.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com