china buying software

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 21 16:30:00 UTC 2011

On 01/21/2011 04:15 AM, David Gerard wrote:
> On 21 January 2011 04:52, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>> On 21/01/2011 15:35, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> But can you get the source?
>> No idea. Haven't bothered to look - have had no need to do so. All I cared
>> about is that it is using Linux -HEY! :-) . But if I am forced I'll have to
>> get off my butt and go find the instructions booklet :-) .
>
> Go on. Get the source from them just for practice, for you and them ;-)
>

> - d.

     I owned and ran a machine shop a lot of years using Machines
running software. I am now old and retired so I do some video and use a
little cad cam in my workshop. Back in my  machine shop days I would but
a machine for $200,000.00  and bought and payed for as I saw it, was
included $10.000.00 worth of software that could do work that I could no
use without buying the additional software.  This really griped the hell
out of me and it is a big reason why I use Linux.  I still feel the same
way about it.  It also aggravates me that If I choose to buy Windows
that having bought it I can't do anything I want with it.
     I have never installed a linux program that tells me I can only use
half of it if I don't do something to make Linux happy. There is
basically only one rule if you follow that you are home free.

     On video and other on line intellectual property I see what might
be a problem appearing that may one day cause Creative commons to be
discredited,at least to some degree. I often down load some video,
pictures and music.  Some things I use are in the public domain and on a
rare occasion I buy some cheap picture or music.  In video it's nearly
impossible to state which is in the public domain and which is CC.   I
am seeing some things I know to be in the public domain and some that
had to have been purchased and they are all attributed to having been
license CC.  This is getting worse.
     I know this is about half off topic but I think it is to some
degree relevant.              Doug