china buying software

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Fri Jan 21 02:25:44 UTC 2011

Cybe R. Wizard schreef op do 20-01-2011 om 13:52 [-0600]:
> that's a special case wherein the software is embedded.  I suspect
> that one could make GPLed code availabile and clone the TVs as-is (as
> it were) and legally sell the clones

Provided that you distribute the sources to your customers, or accompany
your TVs with a written offer to do so...  (but where would you get the
sources in the first place?).

And in most cases such embeded firmwares also contain closed source
(userspace) software, and it would be illegal to copy that software
without permission from its authors too.

--
Jan Claeys