china buying software

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 19:26:36 UTC 2011

On 20 January 2011 17:39, Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net> wrote:

> In fact, upon further reflection I doubt that an illegal /version/ of
> Linux is even possible.  The distribution (giving away, selling,
> passing on) of a Linux copy may well be illegal, but the actual
> software, the copy, can't be illegal if I am reading the GNU licenses
> correctly. Once it is in the hands of the end user it is perfectly
> legal.  The passing on of the copy is what is at question, not the
> actual OS.
> Therefore there cannot be /any/ illegal copies of Linux in China or
> anywhere.
> Thoughts?

Depends. In one of the many BusyBox GPL suits (every single one of
which they win, by the way) they got a pile of televisions with the
violated code as part of the settlement:

http://lwn.net/Articles/398592/

Westinghouse Digital Equipment had to turn over the infringing
equipment, i.e. the copies of BusyBox. Westinghouse was bankrupt at
the time, so the judge may have decided that was all they had to make
good on the violation.

- d.