china buying software

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Jan 20 13:29:19 UTC 2011

On Thursday, January 20, 2011 09:07 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Amedee Van Gasse
> <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be>  wrote:
>> On Thu, January 20, 2011 02:54, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> How is an illegal copy of Linux even possible?
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>> --
>>> Registered GNU/Linux user # 126326
>>> Registered Ubuntu User # 2136
>>
>> It's ironic that a Registered GNU/Linux user doesn't know that it is
>> possible to have an illegal copy of Linux. ;-)
>
> Actually, I think that Cybe's is a good question and none of the
>
> If the /distributor/ has screwed up&  not me the terms of the GPL,
> that does not, AIUI, make the /users/ responsible. IOW the copies of
> Linux are not "illegal", it is the creator/distributor that is falling
> foul.

Copies are illegal if you do not point to where the recipient can get
the source if they wish. If you make a copy and give it to somebody
else, then you are already a distributor and no longer a user. Of
course, making copies of standard distro isos will most assuredly not be
illegal since we can point them to any mirror at any time.