French politicians want to tax tablets for not running Windows

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 11:03:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:54 AM, Bill Cairns <cairnsww at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be interesting if we could stop the political name calling
> for a bit and hear what is happening in France.
>
> As I understand it, there is a proposal on the table in France to tax
> Tablet PCs because (so the theory goes) these are being used to pirate
> music and DVDs. In France, MP3 players are already subject to a
> special tax for that reason. If that proposal was not daft enough, it
> seems that Windows Tablets are to be exempt from this tax - Windows
> being a proper OS means that Windows Tablets are computers; Android
> and other Linux systems are not proper OSs and therefore the Tablets
> that run them are not proper computers.
>
> There is an old political maxim that says: when you have a choice in
> believing that something was caused by a conspiracy designed by the
> dark forces of evil, or perhaps that it is a result of a monumental
> cock-up by incompetent idiots, go for the cock-up theory. (A corollary
> to Occam's Razor I suppose).
>
> Does anyone have any recent news on this? Perhaps the French
> politicians are still recovering from their revelries?

This sounds like a case where Microsoft lobbyists have their claws
sunk deep into the heart of the French parliament.  Its a case where
the government would be subsidizing Windows tablets with taxes from
tablets using competitive operating systems.  That would violate EU
anti-trust laws.  France has already thumb their nose at the authority
of the EU with their Three Strikes law.  The EU needs to grow a pair
and take some kind of action.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts