French politicians want to tax tablets for not running Windows

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Jan 3 11:58:54 UTC 2011

On Monday, January 03, 2011 03:02 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>   On 03/01/2011 17:20, Nathan Bahn wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au
>> <mailto:blchupin at iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>>
>>     *THE GLORIOUS FRENCH REPUBLIC* seems set to kowtow to Microsoft
>>     and levy a tax on every tablet in the land that doesn't run the
>>     Windows operating system.
>>
>>     For a while now France has taxed MP3 players after surrendering to
>>     demands from the movie and film cartels that it make all of its
>>     citizens pay for those few who download media content.
>>
>>     Now the French politicians have worked out that they can get even
>>     more dosh if they extend the tax to include tablets. After all,
>>     most of them are just big phones and MP3 players, they think.
>>
>>     However since the legislation does not cover computers they have
>>     to define what it is that makes a computer different from the
>>     devices they want to tax.
>>
>>     According to the French magazine Numerama
>>     <http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.numerama.com/magazine/17691-taxe-copie-privee-sur-tablettes-archos-pourrait-attaquer-au-conseil-d-etat.html>
>>     they have decided that a device is only a computer when it runs
>>     Microsoft Windows. If it runs Linux or a Mac OS then it must be
>>     just an MP3 player that's being operated by someone who is a
>>     'pirate' and therefore needs to be taxed.
>>
>>     http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1934443/french-politicians-tax-tablets-running-windows
>>

>> Attention all--
>>
>> I can't help but get the impression that French legislators and M$
>> lobbyists are joined at the hip. I could be wrong, of course.....
>
> No more "joined at the the hip" than the American legislators are tied
> to American lobbyists - but only all the way from the head to toe and
> not just simply at the hip.
>
> (Who was it in this list, or was it in another one, who stated only days
> ago that lobbying in American is simply legalised bribery? So, are the
> French legislators any less moral than American legislators?

C'est moi et j'ai dis ici.

The three systems, politics, false religion and commerce, that divide
mankind today have to go. Funny how the Bible in the book of Revelation
not only singled out 'kings', 'Babylon the Great' and 'traveling
merchants' but also rather tellingly showed that they are all connected.
It does not matter whether they are American, French, Chinese or
whatever nationality, politicians as a whole have failed mankind. Ditto
the religious and commercial system. There is no ubuntu in this world.