Loving Ubuntu Linux

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 25 04:02:24 UTC 2011

My writing compadre Bruce Byfield wrote that while "Ubuntu
<http://www.ubuntu.com> first appeared, the free and open source
software (FOSS) community was delighted. But, "In 2011, that honeymoon
is long past
<http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3925641_1/Ubuntu-Where-Did-the-Love-Go.htm>.
Although Ubuntu remains the dominant distro, criticisms of its
relationship with the rest of FOSS seem to be coming every other month."
To which, I can only reply, "So what else is new?"

Ubuntu started as a Debian <http://www.debian.org> fork almost seven
years ago and I can still find Debian developers who are ticked off
about it to this very day. Since then, as Byfield notes, Ubuntu, and its
parent company Canonical <http://www.canonical.com> has gotten into
hot-water with one party after the other in open-source circles.

A short list would include Debian's continued jealousy
<http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/shuttleworth-wants-debianubuntu-co-operation/2005/>
getting in the way of co-operation between the closely related Linux
distributions; countless accusations that Canonical/Ubuntu is all about
promoting Ubuntu and not Linux
<http://www.jejik.com/articles/2007/05/ubuntu_on_dell_-_good_for_linux_or_just_for_canonical>;
and that Ubuntu doesn't contribute its fair share to the Linux kernel
<http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/ubuntu-vs-red-hat-who-really-contributes-the-most-to-linux/2950/>
and other up-stream open-source programs.

[More]

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3925641_1/Ubuntu-Where-Did-the-Love-Go.htm

--
Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.