Fedora and OpenSuse Linux drop Unity interface efforts

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 19 00:23:20 UTC 2011

    Ubuntu 11.04, or Natty Narwhal, remains the only desktop Linux
    distribution to offer the new Unity interface in the near future

Canonical made quite a splash last fall when it announced that the Unity
interface used in its Ubuntu Netbook Edition would become the default
interface
<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/208818/is_unity_the_right_interface_for_desktop_ubuntu.html>
in the Linux distribution's desktop version as well beginning with
version 11.04, or Natty Narwhal.
Fedora's Williamson, for example, wrote
<http://www.happyassassin.net/2011/02/14/unity-poulsbo-important-things-update/>
on Monday that he has "had little time or inclination for doing much
with Unity/Poulsbo. "Unity is still stuck on this bug
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3138858&group_id=67586&atid=523276>
that the upstream maintainer promised to look at after Christmas (I last
submitted a requested change on Jan 25 and it's been crickets since),"
he explained, noting that his work on the effort has been entirely
voluntary. "If I had the inclination I could have set up a side repo to
carry on building stuff, or bugged AJAX to include the patch anyway. I
just haven't."
Nelson Marques of the OpenSUSE project, meanwhile, has encountered
similar obstacles. "Packaging Unity wasn't much of a problem, but
implementing is being translated into frustration," Marques wrote in a
blog post
<http://lizards.opensuse.org/2011/02/15/abandoning-unity-for-the-time-being/>
on Tuesday. That "and the lack of satisfactory results eventually lead
to pre-burnout situations, and I'm not walking that road."

Marques cited problems he encountered as part of his frustration,
including "Compiz behavior on several different git snapshots" as well
as "the default gconf settings required by Unity and the backup/restore
operations from OpenSuse defaults." (Compiz is the window manager that
will be used by default alongside Unity in Natty Narwhal.)

"It's maybe wiser to wait for a bit more of development from upstream
before looking into this," Marques concluded. "OpenSuse is supposed to
be stable and reliable, and I don't see this branch of Compiz match
those two qualities yet."

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/fedora-and-opensuse-linux-drop-unity-interface-efforts-125

--
Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.