Windows Update Will Push IE9; IE10 Will Snub Vista - Yahoo! News

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:56:40 UTC 2011

On 18 April 2011 02:14, Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20110415/tc_nf/78171
>>
>> IE9, which became available on March 14, has previously been available
>> through manual downloads. The company said it has seen strong customer and
>> business demand for the new browser, which supports HTML5 and Windows 7
>> integration. On April 18, existing IE9 beta and release candidate users will
>> be upgraded through Windows Update.
>>
>> Goodbye, XP
>
> That last little bit is more like 'Goodbye, IE on XP'; people are for
> the most part upgrading their OS as they buy new computers; very few
> people will buy a new computer just for a new web browser from
> Microsoft ;)

True.

I think it's more interesting that IE10 - already in preview, less
than 1mth after the release of IE9 - will /only/ run on Windows & and
above. MS is dropping support for Vista already. I think that edition
of Windows is headed for an early death, whereas XP may in the end
prove to be the longest-supported-ever.

> BUT this is a good opportunity to remind people that Microsoft
> products are shoddy and should be replaced with alternatives as much
> as possible! (especially high quality software libre... yay Firefox 4!
> :)

Absolutely!

I discovered something interesting yesterday in my new job. The
company where I will be working, as a senior techie, is all-Microsoft.

But they do almost everything over remote-desktop sessions hosted on
big servers in a datacentre hundreds of kilometres away, over the
public Internet.

Which meant that I was able to work perfectly effectively on my
Ubuntu-powered notebook, even though it's an all-Windows setup and
Linux is not supported.

This amused me.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com