Unity-2D/Ubuntu Classic (was: Unity: Nothing can go wrong!)

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Sun Apr 17 14:50:04 UTC 2011

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Liam Proven wrote:
>  - if you have hardware 3D, you get Unity;
>  - if you don't, you get GNOME 2.

The description of the hardware detection is correct.  Additionally,
if anyone wants GNOME2 Panel anyway, then all that is required is to:

  1. Enter the Username at the graphical login (aka "GDM")
  2. Choose "Ubuntu Classic" from the drop down at the bottom
  3. Enter the Password to complete login (with GNOME2 Panel).

> They are working on a separate 2D version but it's not ready yet.
  ^^^^
There is no such thing as "they" and "us" in Ubuntu;  only *we*.
*We* are all equally welcome to install Unity-2D!:

  sudo apt-get install unity-2d

(It should have feature parity---and if it doesn't that's a bug, which
can be filed at  http://launchpad.net/unity-2d/+filebug )

	-Paul