Unity: Nothing can go wrong!

chris chevhq at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 20:06:52 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 12:50 -0500, Samuel Thurston wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 3:58 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 16 April 2011 09:46, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Nothing can go wrong! Nothing can go wr!"&%!£%"^!%£!"""@@@@@@@@@@@@
> >> 5 out of 11 testers managed to crash Unity:
> >> http://digitizor.com/2011/04/15/crashed-unity-canonical-study/
> >> How far are we from release day?
> >

> > The rest of the results are pretty dismal too:
> >
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2011-April/032988.html
> >

> You know, I wouldn't mind this so much.  I'm a stubborn user and I
> don't mind things being crashy, submitting bug reports, etc.
>
> However, my concern is the impact this has on the linux desktop in a
> larger context.  This kind of bad press associated with the
> most-popular linux distro in this day and age, may be just what it
> took to set linux back another 5 years.
>
> Planning to release a product with an unfinished and under-tested DE
> is suicidally irresponsible.   Much as I hate to say it I suspect that
> canonical's days may be numbered as a result of this.

Yes, I have been trying to make this point for some time.  I personally
consider the drive to have a "release" every 6 months", could be an
indication of an unstable organisation.  :-)  Or as my wife puts it "you
insane lot".

I do personally know several people who have dumped Ubuntu, and moved to
Debian stable.  Their argument being that they want a working system
they can use, not something that they have to triage and fiddle with
constantly.

--
Cheers the kiwi