[OT][META] historical analysis of the list's traffic.

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:00:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:04 AM, Samuel Thurston <sam.thurston at gmail.com> wrote:
> In short the list is almost as healthy as it's ever been.  If Ubuntu
> doesn't "need this list" anymore, perhaps that's because Ubuntu's
> grown to the point where it's no longer exciting when it's mentioned
> in the news. That's kind of sad.
>
> If people are interested I may do an analysis on what the big dip in
> 2008 was all about. Not sure I want to invest the time if nobody cares
> though.

My memory was that serious discussion about Ubuntu by non-developers
was originally pushed out from ubuntu-devel to sounder, but was then
moved to devel-discuss.  This could have taken a chunk out of the
sounder traffic. I am not sure if the record supports this, on the one
hand devel-discuss was founded way back (Sat, Dec 9, 2006), on the
other the devel-discuss traffic grew until it was busy throughout the
year of 2008. In any case, I imagine the founding of devel-discuss
contributed to the 2008 slump in sounder.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted