[ADMIN] [ANNOUNCE] This list

Samuel Thurston sam.thurston at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 13:27:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> Translation: "I don't like the playground, the kids there are mean. So
>> I want it closed."
>
> Not really. This list is utterly not what people who sign up to it are
> likely to expect, going on the mailman description. If Canonical wanted to
> be hosting a mailing list dedicated to religious and political discussion,
> they'd do so and describe it as such.
>
> ubuntu-users is supposed to be for technical support; this list is supposed
> to be where the conversations that are not strictly technical support, but
> still ubuntu-related in some way, end up.

Most of the threads start out as non-technical semi-ubuntu-related and
devolve.  I think this owes a lot to the fact that many of the
non-technical issues surrounding Ubuntu are philosophical or
political.  It also owes a lot that holy wars threads are often
instructed to "take it to sounder."

The issue of closing sounder for this very reason has been brought up
no less than once per year since it started.  I agree with liam that
if you want focus it's probably got to be moderated.

If you don't personally like the content of an unmoderated list, leave
the list, or try to get it moderated.  Advocating shutting down a
community service because you disapprove of how it's being used is
just odd...