[ADMIN] [ANNOUNCE] This list

David Sanders dsuzukisanders at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 09:31:40 UTC 2011

On 8 April 2011 10:17, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> I've added an proposal to the Ubuntu Community Council agenda to shut
> the sounder list down.
>
> When the Ubuntu project was started, the sounder list was a place
> where new ideas and fun things like 'Ubuntu sightings' were discussed
> - it was the first mailing list you would read in the mornings.
> However nowadays I don't believe this list is serving its purpose &
> isn't helpful to the project. It only serves to allow a small set of
> people to argue about subjects very tenuously related to Ubuntu, or
> unrelated at all. The Ubuntu project doesn't need this list anymore.

It depends on what you mean by "isn't helpful to the project". As far
as I'm concerned this still *is* the place where Ubuntu features and
gripes are discussed and general community chit-chat happens. We're
all Ubuntu users on this list - and most of us probably fairly
experienced users (or IT professionals) who don't want to read a "How
do I install Photoshop on my Ubuntu KTHXBYE" list. So, naturally as
our systems are happily running Ubuntu on a daily basis we don't need
to discuss the ins and outs of the software. You'll note that most
posts are at least IT and Ubuntu related (occasional political and
historical diatribes notwithstanding). So, some of it goes off-topic -
so what? This is a list of human beings discussing things, arguments
are bound to happen.

If you pull this list, you'll have made the Ubuntu eco-system just
that little bit less interesting. I, for one, think of Sounder as the
real water-cooler of Ubuntu and would be sad to see it go.