Problems Linux Enthusiasts Refuse to Address

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 5 19:58:39 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 03:27 PM, Avi wrote:
> Michael Haney wrote:
>
>> He said that one of the major strengths of Linux is actually one of
>> its greatest weaknesses, and that is its immense diversity.
> Hah. I've always seen that worded as:
>
> "One of the major weaknesses of Linux is actually one of its greatest
> strengths"

I don't know, in running a business you usually want the things you use
to do the job. You don't care what else it will do.  If you run a shoe
store you want the best program there is to keep track of shoes and
order more when stock gets low.  You don't care what it can do for the
steel maker.  If the message is watered down by other wonderful things
it can do there is a very good chance the shoe seller won't even know
it's good for him.
He doesn't read about good software he reads about good shoe selling
software.  You have to market a product to every individual user. The
auto maker put a beautiful women on the hood of the automobile in every
add. They marketed a beauitful women to every man above the age of
eight. The the car only had to be good enough to not completely turn the
buyer off.  I think Linux has good software but is not marketing it.  We
just put the product out there in a limited way and say try linux. This
reminds me of a kid with a lemon aid stand and a sign out front that
says, Lemonade.                Doug