Problems Linux Enthusiasts Refuse to Address

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 16:31:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:06 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 April 2011 15:08, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:52 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> J. Random Hardware on Linux either works perfectly or there's no hope
>>> whatsoever, with very little in-between.
>
>> Retry,
>> Reboot,
>> Reinstall the Latest Mainline Kernel from
>>  http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
>> Works for me in at least 50% of cases. Much of the problem I have is
>> that Ubuntu is shipping kernels that are older than my hardware.
>

> Are you running Lucid? Then that wouldn't be surprising.
>
> One of the things Red Hat does for RHEL is backport new drivers to old
> kernel versions - so you can run RHEL5, but if you're running the
> latest version your shiny new server will likely work.
>
> Canonical will need to do something similar for Ubuntu Server to be a
> serious contender. Though running in a VM makes life a lot easier for
> hardware support, e.g. my work is about to shift all its hosting to
> Ubuntu VMs.
>
> I'd expect that the smarter hardware manufacturers would help in such
> backporting efforts as well, if they want their server to run those
> OSes. This is the bit where working with manufacturers is really
> important for Canonical.

Isn't that the direction enterprise is going anyway?  Server virtualization.

Where one or two machines can replace four or five machines running
multiple VMs at a time, with each VM doing a different job.  I see a
lot about this in emails I get from ZDnet.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts