Ubuntu 11.10 makes Unity compulsory

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 15:36:13 UTC 2011

On 5 April 2011 16:32, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net> wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 11:10 AM, Samuel Thurston wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Douglas Pollard<dougpol1 at verizon.net>
>>  wrote:
>> *lots of snip*
>>>
>>> Why would a person invent a religion that is
>>> bad for him.
>>
>> *more snip*
>>
>> Humans are well-known to engage in all sorts of self-destructive
>> behaviors: smoking, drinking, drug use, participating in extreme
>> sports, watching reality tv.  Asking why implies that there is a
>> rational explanation.  I am prone to assume there is not.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sam
>>
>> P.S. I lost track of the thread somewhere... I posit that deriving an
>> argument about the existence of god from a discussion on unity being
>> "forced" on users in 11.10 could be added to my list of irrational and
>> potentially self-destructive behaviors :)
>>
> Humans use drugs because it's good for them, they like it, it feels good.
> The future is far off and death may stop it all so why not.  Not my rational
> but certainly somebodies. I find it amazing that anybody wants to die and be
> dead for ever.  Hate Life??        Doug

*What*? What has wanting anything got to do with it?

The universe is as we perceive it. Wishful thinking does not change a thing.

Sure, it would be nice if there was an afterlife, or reincarnation, or
a big benevolent sky-fairy looking after us, but there is *no evidence
at all* that there is. As such, the only rational response is to
assume that there is not.

Wanting has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com