Ubuntu 11.10 makes Unity compulsory

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Apr 3 15:54:05 UTC 2011

Hi Donn,

On 3 April 2011 15:19, donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I am terrified of the future of the my desktop. From the
> screenshots and stories I have seen, the reliable old ways are going
> extinct.

Maybe you should try it rather than base your (incorrect) assumptions
on stories and screenshots.

>  I can't imagine developing on my normal PC (not a laptop etc.) without
> being able to:
> * have multiple desktops

If you mean "screens" then I have two in unity and it works. If you
mean "workspaces" then I have four in unity, and it works.

> * have multiple apps on one screen at different sizes.

That works.

> * switch with alt-tab or via a taskbar click.

Both of those work. ALT+TAB works pretty much as you would expect. The
"taskbar" has been replaced by the launcher. So you can switch from
one app to another by clicking the icon in the launcher.

Al.