Ubuntu 11.10 makes Unity compulsory

donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 14:19:13 UTC 2011

On 03/04/2011 15:41, David Gerard wrote:
> I still don't understand the weird step backwards in actual usability
> from UNR in 10.04 (last I used it) to Unity in 11.04.

Personally I am terrified of the future of the my desktop. From the
screenshots and stories I have seen, the reliable old ways are going
extinct.
  I can't imagine developing on my normal PC (not a laptop etc.) without
being able to:
* have multiple desktops
* have multiple apps on one screen at different sizes.
* switch with alt-tab or via a taskbar click.

It's too horrible to imagine a one-screen-one-app kind of thing with
slow (or no) alt-tab switching. I rely on seeing 'stuff' in the
background - a terminal poking out, a bit of browser that I am reading
text from, vim in the foreground where I am working. Switch here, there,
line some stuff up. Go into Inkscape, pop a terminal down from the top,
etc.

Will the whole "power user" development flow be totally blown to hell?
Not to mention excluding everyone who has not bought a 3D card for the
last 5 years?

I ran away from KDE a few years ago. Mint Gnome has been good to me.
Whence the future?

/d
<quivering in the corner>