Ubuntu 11.10 makes Unity compulsory

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 13:49:00 UTC 2011

On 3 April 2011 14:41, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 April 2011 14:23, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> From a listmember's Twitter (HT to Dave Gerard)...
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/ubuntu-1110-will-not-ship-with-classic.html
>> This is news to me. Even from the beta in a VM, I can tell you, the
>> Natty version of "classic GNOME" isn't. And Unity 2D is thus far so
>> unfinished it's not even in the repos yet, which amazes me; I'm
>> honestly surprised it's considered ready to ship when it doesn't fall
>> back if no 3D acceleration is available...
>
> I'm seriously considering Debian Sid if Unity isn't considerably
> improved by then. (And if I can get a nonfree wifi driver for this
> netbook.)

Try Mint. It's quite nice, honestly. And personally I prefer Pidgin
and Thunderbird to Empathy and Evolution. Saves me a job.

On my current Thinkpad, Mint Debian Edition works rather well. Needed
a few minor tweaks - more than Ubuntu-based Mint - but it's OK.

On my old 2000 Thinkpad, Crunchbang 10 (Debian-based) is unusable,
whereas Crunchbang 9 (Ubuntu-based) was fine. Debian doesn't have
drivers for either my wired or wireless Ethernet cards. >_<

Thankfully, Lubuntu is fine.

I am seriously thinking of putting XP on it, in the form of TinyXP.
Real XP was too much for it & it used to run Win2000, but TinyXP Bare
might be all right...

> I still don't understand the weird step backwards in actual usability
> from UNR in 10.04 (last I used it) to Unity in 11.04.

It wasn't managing a windowing interface in the NBR - it was a
small-screen single-maximised-window interface in 10.10. That's the
key difference from the 2010 to the 2011 releases, I think.

In 10.04, it was still the full-screen Netbook Launcher, and although
it did less, it was more comprehensible, I feel. It wasn't the Unity
NotADock™ Launcher back then.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com