Ubuntu 11.10 makes Unity compulsory

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 13:23:14 UTC 2011

>From a listmember's Twitter (HT to Dave Gerard)...

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/ubuntu-1110-will-not-ship-with-classic.html

This is news to me. Even from the beta in a VM, I can tell you, the
Natty version of "classic GNOME" isn't. And Unity 2D is thus far so
unfinished it's not even in the repos yet, which amazes me; I'm
honestly surprised it's considered ready to ship when it doesn't fall
back if no 3D acceleration is available...

I wonder how long GNOME 2 will stay supported & updated once GNOME 3
is out? I think that's only a day or a 2 away now, isn't it?

If Ubuntu only offers Unity and Mint only offers GNOME, what are the
options going to be in 6 months' time, I wonder? I don't have the
option of 3D-accelerated desktops on my Thinkpad, and I can't afford a
new one. Also, it works absolutely fine and does all I want for now,
so I am loathe to replace it.

I am considering re-evaluating XFCE and LXDE, I must admit. Both were
OK but felt a little basic to me after GNOME 2.

Then again, I just tried the newly-released Bodhi Linux on a couple of
machines yesterday. It's /very/ pretty. It may only use 300MB of RAM
but it's not a low-end system OS -  my 750MHz Thinkpad-before-last is
/way/ too slow for it - and I think the lack of hardware 3D on my
newer Thinkpad would be a significant drawback, but it is tempting. I
have no clue how to use Enlightenment, but then, I have no clue how to
use Unity or GNOME 3, either, so it's not /such/ a wrench.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com