Time to bite the Lucid bullet!

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 03:22:17 BST 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:16 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Debian gets this right, Ubuntu somehow managed not to.
>
> There are all sorts of excuses for why this is. But having excuses
> doesn't mean the upgrade process is not unreliable rubbish, because it
> is.

Not always.  The last Debian Etch to Lenny upgrade I did on a server
at work brought dependency hell problems during the upgrade at a level
I have never seen in any of the Ubuntu upgrades I have ever done.

Bottom line:  upgrades are often messy, no matter which distro.
Sometimes it works great; sometimes it doesn't.  And you go that
route, have backups, and be ready to go the re-install route if
needed.

--
Daniel Robitaille