Time to bite the Lucid bullet!

Samuel Thurston sam.thurston at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 17:05:20 BST 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Clay Weber wrote:
>> On Friday, September 17, 2010 10:44:34 am Clay Weber wrote
>>
>> > So in essence, any karmic-lucid method of upgrading can be
>> > considered 'whacky"
>>
>> Sorry that should read "direct hardy-lucid"
>
> IMHO it was long known that Kubuntu Hardy wasn't LTS and therefore I
> would not expect a direct upgrade Hardy -> Lucid to work. But what
> happens if people have a Hardy system with both Gnome and KDE? Would
> that also be "whacky"?
>

> Nils

Lets face facts, any upgrade has its potential pitfalls.  The more
customizations one has done to a system means more possibilities for
conflicts and other difficulties along the way.  Since gnome and kde
(speaking of the complete desktop environment, not just the key
libraries to make the apps run) both contain subsystems in which
different apps are designed to accomplish the same things, i would say
this at least has some serious potential to be whacky.  But that
avoids the question of why one would want two complete desktop
environments on one system in the first place. (I have both installed
so I can reasonably point out that it's kind of a silly thing to do.)