The Final Straw

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Sep 8 15:45:45 BST 2010

On 8 September 2010 15:36, Chris Puttick <cputtick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 September 2010 15:03,  <sounder-request at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Sounds like the resolution detection code needs fixing rather than
>> having a manual bodge app to work around that brokenness.
>
> Ahh, no, not necessarily - I can give you two specific instances in

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that "Under no circumstances do we
need a GUI application to manipulate the screen resolution". Merely
that in the vast majority of cases it shouldn't be necessary to have
one.

> which auto-detection will not work (even for those using modern
> Microsoft or Apple operating systems <gasp>) and why, therefore, there
> needs to be a SAX2 app *for those that need it* so the resolution can
> be correctly set (and stored such that the crazy auto-config system
> doesn't over-write it on next boot):
>
> (i) if pin (number I forget) on your VGA cable is badly terminated or
> fallen off(!), the monitor will function fine visually but
> auto-detection will fail[1];

Arf! You're suggesting we need to code an application to cater for
when a ham-fisted user breaks a VGA cable? What about catering for
broken SATA cables? Should we allow X to only use half the screen if
someone has a cracked LCD? What about remapping keys easily for when
one keycap breaks off the keyboard?

> (iii) so I said two, but like the Spanish Inquisition, I thought of
> another while I was telling you about the first where using
> auto-detect is an arse - if you are visually impaired how do you see
> which app to use to turn the resolution down?

Traditionally the answer to that has been CTRL+ALT+plus and
CTRL+ALT+minus. Looks like that's broken these days :(

Cheers,
Al.