The Final Straw

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 14:23:09 BST 2010

On 8 September 2010 13:39, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> A reasonable point, but it side-steps the core issue.
> The issue is not "Ubuntu doesn't  always auto-detect monitors". It is
> "Ubuntu really needs a GUI for forcibly selecting modes it has not
> detected".

Yes. Xorg is very good at guessing what it's running on, but it's
*not* perfect, and assuming it is leads only to heartbreak and
demanding that people with machines under two years old edit Xorg.conf
if they want this "user-friendly" Linux distro to run.

(So far xorg has resisted calls to abandon Xorg.conf altogether and
use only autodetection. We'll see how long this lasts.)

- d.