The Final Straw

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Sep 8 10:00:32 BST 2010

Hi Michael,

On 8 September 2010 08:22, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Several versions ago Ubuntu once had a feature where you could go to
> the same window where you selected your screen resolution, then click
> on a tab and manually select your monitor hardware.  After this
> feature was removed myself a very large number of others have had
> problems with Ubuntu.  The main problem is we cannot install the 3D
> accelerated drivers, because if we do our screen resolution is limited
> to an unusable 640x480.

Sounds like the resolution detection code needs fixing rather than
having a manual bodge app to work around that brokenness.

> Manually editing the xorg.conf file is the only option at this point,
> but its not something the average user can do on their own, so many
> give up.  I've seen a lot of new users throw up their hands in disgust
> and abandon ever trying Ubuntu because of this problem.  I've
> submitted a Bug Report about the problem and even posted in the Ubuntu
> QA list about it, I've begged and pleased, and for more than a year
> now there's been nothing done.  No progress has been made to fix this
> issue at all.  Its considered a "low priority", yet more people than I
> can count have been effected by this problem.

You didn't link to the bug but I found bug 240915 (filed by you two
years ago) which I assume is the one you're talking about.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/x-kit/+bug/240916

You'll note that the second comment (also two yeas old)  on the bug
was from Bryce Harrington who (at the time) worked heavily on the X
infrastructure at Canonical. He asked for more information in the form
of the Xorg.0.log and the out put of an lspci command. I can't see
either of those attached to that bug report in the two years since it
was filed. If you want to get a developer to help you, you need to
provide the detail they need to analyse the problem.

Whilst you're attacking it from the "we need a GUI app" angle, I
suspect the better angle is as I mentioned previously "get the
autodetection code fixed" then you wouldn't need a GUI app to fix the
monitor.

I'd say a more productive use of your time would be to respond to
developers when you have their attention rather than bitching on the
sounder list and threatening to create multiple petitions which would
only waste the time of everyone involved.

Al.