Woe to you if you distribute anything other than a Microsoft operating system

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Fri Oct 29 23:12:59 BST 2010

2010/10/28 Erik Pomerantz <epomerantz at gmail.com>:
> While I agree that software patent is an huge oppressor of resellers and
> consumers I do not think this fee is directly targeted toward android
> devices (no doubt their motivation for imposing the fee.) In the beginning
> it says "...in the article vendors of Android handsets for using its patents
> in e-mail, multimedia and other functions..." if I'm not mistaken this is a
> reference to using M$ software on android device? Why not just ditch the
> software and just use an equivalent cheaper functioning software and avoid
> paying microsoft altogether?

I don't know but my money is on some contract between the big shots
saying something along the lines: we don't charge you for this and
this patent as long as you sell with our OS exclusively. Might or
might not be legal, might or might not be in the best interest of
customers (not in my interest, but YMMV), but it sounds like not new
commercial technique. Not much idealistic but more like: is the cost
of licensing patents more or less than the cost of licensing and
supporting windows?

I'm still dropping windows from the devices either way,
I.