Ubuntu to use its netbook Unity interface in 11.04, not GNOME 3

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:07:53 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 October 2010 11:33, Anthony Papillion <papillion at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have to agree with you Kevin. While I've never seen the Netbook
>> Remix so I'm speaking from a purely ignorant stance, I think it would
>> take a *lot* to get dedicated users to move away from Ubuntu and I
>> doubt that this is going to be that tipping point. Sure, we're going
>> to see some move away, but those of us who support the distro will
>> stick with it for the long haul I think.
> [...]
>> Canonical has shown an absolute passion for the UX with Ubuntu and I
>> believe that, whatever they do with Natty, is going to be done to push
>> the distro forward in a good way.
>
> Indeed. Some of the plans for 10.04 were worrying, but it's turned out
> nicely solid as far as I'm concerned. 10.10 has been just fine too.[*]
>
> I don't like the netbook interface that much - even on my netbook I
> use the 2.x interface - but I'd be *amazed* if Ubuntu started sucking
> enough in usability to jump ship.

Concur.  Although I have only played with 10.10 (and indeed Mint 10) so far.

Ubuntu has its eyes on the prize (as in, Bug #1) and doesn't seem to
mind too much who it pisses off to get there, even if this means
non-Free code, not hewing to the line of a major FOSS project and so
on.

TBH, I trust them. I don't like everything they do - I remove
Evolution and Empathy as a matter of course, move the window buttons
back to the right, and so on - but they have not really screwed up
yet, no matter how many fools regularly shout abuse at them.

Saying that, in the last few weeks, I've been looking again at Debian
& 2 new Debian-based distros that have migrated to it from Ubuntu
bases. :¬)

> [*] modulo an upgrade from 10.04 on a Dell C510 on the weekend during
> which Metacity died, making it actually impossible to bring the window
> asking what to do with grub.conf to the front to click on. Had to ssh
> in, kill the upgrade process and fix it from the command line. ALWAYS
> install openssh-server. ALWAYS.

Noted.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com