Canonical Ubuntu splits from Gnome over design issues

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 26 12:24:00 BST 2010

On 26/10/2010 22:03, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> So what happens to older hardware that *doesn't* meet the hardware
> requirements for Unity? Will it install Gnome by default or are those
> users just out of luck?
>
> Anthony
>
> On 10/26/10, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>

>> Canonical is changing the default interface on the next release of
>> Ubuntu from Gnome to Unity, a new open source project that focuses on
>> simplified interface and three dimensional displays.

[pruned]

>> Because Canonical was already developing Unity for netbooks for OEM
>> (original equipment manufacturer) customers, "We went ahead and did the
>> engineering" for a general desktop interface for the next release,
>> Shuttleworth said. "Essentially, it is a very different product from the
>> Gnome shell, and has a very different way of organizing things," he said.
>>

>> http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/canonical-ubuntu-splits-gnome-over-design-issues-846

You asking ME?! :-)

Ah, OK, so it was a rhetorical question.... :-) .

Ask the ONE... and ONLY,... the GREAT!..... <FX:drum roll.....> SABDFL
himself! <FX: wild and hysetrical cheering from all over the planet>

BC

--
"My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I am going to be an uncle or an aunt."
          Chuck Nevitt