Trolling about distribution upgrades

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun Oct 24 16:11:13 BST 2010

On Monday, October 04, 2010 12:22 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> I must say that the opensolaris community at the very least got one
> thing done right. Distribution upgrades. Zero problems. Just upgraded
> from Opensolaris 111b to 134 without any issues at all and with full
> roll-back capability if anything did go wrong.

Maybe no full roll-back capability but the upgrade from Jaunty through
Karmic to Lucid was pretty much trouble free. Just some steps possibly
missed thanks to the stupid firebird classic install script.

Did a apt-get autoremove and then dpkg-reconfigure
linux-image-lastest-generic and then rebooted.

> I have yet to attempt my Hard to Lucid at work or my Jaunty to Lucid at
> home out of fear of a heart attack thanks to the gasps I got when I last
> posted my intention to upgrade but was 'saved' by lack of disk space.

Home box pretty much working properly I believe...my GT 9800 did not
give me blank screens for example.

> I guess I better look forward to the Nexenta guys moving over to the
> Lucid repos from the Hardy ones. That small team also seems to have got
> upgrading right.
>
> /me starts waving his big club around.

/me puts big club away.

Time to check out essentials (you know, flash, sound)

And to get that stupid upstart to honour the /etc/event.d/sv file.