Windowless world.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 14:56:18 BST 2010

On 9 October 2010 05:53, Johnneylee Rollins
<johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, it came to my attention today as I spent over six hours fighting
> with windows that it's simply not worth it. Not for games, not for any
> windows only applications. To install a vulnerable operating system on
> any of my hardware, just to have to get software that protects the
> operating system from attacks seems altogether ridiculous. My
> conclusion so far is that unless you can afford to pay me $45/hour to
> administrate systems for you, don't even ask or mention anything about
> windows. It has no place in what I do, other than gaming
> entertainment. For the other small dohickeys, I will use the windows
> installation on my xen server. I keep it around purely to see how
> quickly it can get infected. I've got about 17 seconds so far. But
> that's another story. From now on, I'm strictly Unix and its variants
> for operating systems and sparingly using windows in a virtual
> machine.
>
> It was so ridiculous though, I cleared a partition from my system to
> allow room for windows. I started the install, then the sticker on my
> laptop was too rubbed off to read. I then tried to boot into Ubuntu to
> find that goddamn windows decided to remove the ubuntu partition
> sitting inside a logical partition and nothing else. I was so
> infuriated, I broke all my windows disks, removed everything windows
> from my environment and promptly reinstalled ubuntu. At this stage,
> I'm left at reinstalling everything and reconfiguring things. As well
> as recovering hours of work lost. Needless to say, I hate windows more
> than I hate anything in this world.
>
> Quite the amount of qq'ing from me, huh?

Don't blame you. I am close to the same point. I am regularly amused
(mingled with dismay) that Windows users simply /do not believe me/
when I say that Ubuntu is less work to install and maintain than
Windows these days. They seem to think I'm lying for dramatic effect
or something.

If I might be permitted one small cavil, the verb of what an
administrator does is to administer, not to administrate; the process
is administration. Such a common error that it's catching on,
though... :¬(

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com