Ubuntu 10.10 beta preview - ADDENDUM

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 16:35:39 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is rather remarkable; it installed libdvdcss2?
>>
>> Maverick is on another set of HDs so I cannot check for this file at the
>> moment. But I guess it must have - or something equivalent to it -
>> because I can view DVDs without any problems. Surprised me to be honest.
>
> I get the impression that checking the box installs
> ubuntu-restricted-extras, yet according to:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/ubuntu-restricted-extras
>
> "Please note that this does not install libdvdcss2, and will not let
> you play encrypted DVDs."
>
> I'm going to have to investigate this...

Among the u-r-e dependencies (via gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad) are
libdvdnav4 and libdvdread4.

As per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
though you should not be able to decrypt CSS disk content though...
Did you actually play the movie part or just test the menu screen?

CK