OpenOffice.org has been forked

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 1 13:20:09 BST 2010

On 01/10/2010 21:54, David Sanders wrote:
> On 1 October 2010 12:08, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> I have a printing plate which prints "Ex Libris" to be pasted into
>> the books which I own.
>>
>> "Ex Libris" comes from Latin - "from the books or library...".
>>
>> "Canta Libre" means "Song book" or "Book of Songs" but the base
>>

> Am I not following the discussion correctly, or is it just that
> there's some confusion over the idea of having two Latin words with
> the same spelling?
>
> Libre for LibreOffice is clearly in the sense of "freedom" in Romance
> languages, not as in "book".

Possibly, but not definitively.

I simply stated that it was "probably based on the song" by Neil
Diamond, "Canta Libre" which means a Book of Songs, or Songbook as it
now turns out.

Then the hare bolted with the hounds in pursuit :-) .

And I still don't see how it cannot relate to a book seeing as how it
has almost everything to do with writing (a) document(s).

On the other hand, I would have preferred to see it named as, say,
"LlibereOffice" so as to be less confusing; but then this would have
been just TOO 'revolutionary' sounding - and we cannot have such implied
and naughty-type names in this day and age can we?

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
           Christina Aquilera