Ubuntu supported & Canonical supported (was: .ubu vs. .deb)

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Nov 26 23:44:19 GMT 2010

On Saturday, November 27, 2010 04:13 AM, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> supported by the Ubuntu community,
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community. (x4)
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> What is supported by the Ubuntu community (the whole archive) is a
> superset of what is supported by Canonical (main + restricted).
> The four core components that make up Ubuntu are detailed at:
>
>    http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/components
>
> All four are supported by the Ubuntu community, and two are /also/
> supported at a more concentrated level by Canonical.  Had the query
> been about "Canonical-supported" software, then my answers would have
> been different (but equally correct and accurate);

You said Ubuntu supported. What Cybe said still holds true. There are
unmaintained packages and the Ubuntu devs even (whether Canonical hired
or not) know about them. The NetworkManager mess around 7.xx was because
there was no maintainer for NetworkManager in GNOME and the devs knew it
but still made a release with that crap.

You cannot make any claim that ALL the packages are Ubuntu supported
even if you use the broader Ubuntu community definition that you are
pushing and that you think Cybe is not talking about.