The Linux desktop is about to get a LOT faster

Samuel Thurston sam.thurston at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 15:04:21 GMT 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> HOWEVER
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternative-to-200-lines-kernel-patch.html
>
> Redhat chap quickly showed a 'work around'. methinks i should be running
> Fedora/Centos.

A) there are separate (untested) instructions for applying the same
workaround to Ubuntu in that article as well as two patched
Ubuntu-specific kernels.  Don't go fleeing to redhat just yet :)

B) something seems odd about the performance testing numbers posted to
the lkml.  I can't put my finger on it and don't have the time to run
proper benchmarks of my own at the moment.  This weekend perhaps I'll
add the Lennart method on my home machine and see how it feels. What
concerns me is that because the cgroups are tty-bound you won't see
performance increases on system services and things like networking
(for which the benchmark numbers do not account.) that's just a hunch
though.