Update: More contributors leave OpenOffice.org for LibreOffice

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 15:52:35 GMT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org> wrote:

> The more people leave the OOo community... the less control the
> community has on what Oracle makes of OOo... and that's bad for the
> community. But not necessarily bad for OOo if Oracle decides to put
> enough resources behind OOo to make it even better. In fact, that's what
> Oracle is doing just now... So the community is shooting itself in the foot.

That's somewhat tortured logic; if the "OOo community" decides that it
wants to empower itself by migrating to LibreOffice, how is that "bad
for the community" and how is "the community is shooting itself in the
foot" if it steers LibreOffice in a new direction?

Oracle is proving itself quite untrustworthy, but the beauty of
software libre is that we can fork the code and move ahead, instead of
having to be at the mercy of proprietary software companies.  Quite
honestly I hope we see a repeat of what happened when the Mozilla
Suite was separated and we got Firefox.

CK