Android: based on Linux, not equal to Linux, and not entirely open

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon May 31 09:46:39 BST 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 03:30, ZaReason wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) <
> amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 28, 2010 05:00, Michael Haney wrote:
>>
>> > Android = Linux = Openness FTW!
>>
>> assertTrue(Linux.contains(FTW));
>> assertTrue(Android.contains(FTW));
>> assertTrue(Linux.getOpenness());
>> assertFalse(Android.getOpenness());
>> assertTrue(Android instanceof Linux.getClass());
>> assertFalse(Android.getClass().equals(Linux.getClass());
>>

>> ;-)
>>

> Android is an operating system. And as an operating system, it is quite
> open. The bulk of Android is available under an Apache 2.0 license, with
> the
> kernel of course being GPL 2. <http://developer.android.com/license.html>
> There is an open SDK, where I can write all the apps I want, I can
> distribute them (or even sell them), and we can all install those apps on
> our Android devices whenever we like. So what if Android isn't a classic
> Linux distro with an X display and GTK/QT apps. Android is open, is easy
> develop for, and is incredibly usable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an
> Android device to a friend.

Well of course, the Android operating system is 100% open (or perhaps
99.99%), but the implementation on various devices isn't.

The Android operating system is based on the Linux kernel and shares
perhaps 99% of the code, but as long as Google doesn't submit its patches
back to the mainline kernel tree, it isn't technically Linux. A branch of
Linux, yes. Not Linux itself. All of this is subject to change as soon as
Google submits its patches to the mainline kernel tree.

I would recommend an Android phone to anyone who does more than calling
(get a cheap Nokia) or texting/mail (get a Blackberry) or being a hipster
(get an iPhone). For serious smartphone users it is the platform that
Windows Mobile (software portability) always promised but never delivered.

I am doing a programming course Java in evening classes and I intend to
write an Android app as my final project.

Let there be no mistake. I am a huge fan of Android, but I'm not blind to
its shortcomings. For example, why did we have to wait until Froyo before
we got native tethering? My (t)rusty old Nokia 6680 already did that 4
years ago.

Nonetheless: I, for one, welcome our new Android overlords.

--
Amedee
Not sent from my Motorola Milestone, but I could if I wanted. :-)