Bye Bye H.264!

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Tue May 25 15:10:54 BST 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.betanews.com/article/Patent-pool-may-be-in-the-works-for-free-VP8-codec/1274466745
> http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/21/googles-webm-video-format-might-not-be-so-free-after-all-says/
>
> Regarding WebM, MPEG LA wants you "to avoid any patent liability down
> the road by simply paying for a license now".
>
> I believe this is known in some parts as 'protection money', aka extortion.

The MPEG-LA consortium is protected from anti-trust investigations due
to an agreement they have with the US DoJ.  This move has the
possibility of being judged as a violation of that agreement.  Nero
has taken them to court over this very same issue.  That the MPEG-LA
are using their "supposed" monopoly over video codecs to "extort"
money from other companies.  Basically, the US DoJ said "don't be a
patent troll and we won't sue you", well its about time the DoJ did
some suing in my opinion because that agreement has been broken.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts