Ubuntu Gets a 2nd Chance

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sat May 22 03:34:25 BST 2010

Well, I've decided to give Ubuntu 10.04 another chance.

I've talked to another group at Lists.Ubuntu.com and they're
suggestions helped me fix my screen resolution problem.  They aren't a
support group and I got more help from them than this group.  That's
sad.  I was also told which lists to talk to who ARE in a position to
do something about this problem.  They agree with me that its
something that needs to be fixed, and should have been fixed some time
ago.

The issue is X.org doesn't often detect the right monitor you have
connected.  For me, this results in my screen resolution being limited
to 640x480 when I install the Nvidia drivers.  I'm not alone in this,
in extensive Google searches to find help with this I found many blogs
complaining about the SAME THING.  To use the Accessibility features
of Compiz Fusion that I need due to my visual disability I need to
install the Nvidia drivers.  With the aid of this other group I was
able to fix the problem, sort of.  The boot splash screen no longer
displays and the desktop comes up at 800x600 and I have to go into the
Nvidia X Server Configurator to change it to 1024x768 manually every
time I reboot .... which is rare but its annoying.

System => Preferences => Monitor in 10.04 is a GUI frontend for
xrandr, the command line utility for changing the screen resolution of
X.org.  It is also capable changing monitor settings like adding new
resolution modes and refresh rates.  These options are lacking in the
Monitor GUI, and has been missing for several releases thus far.  The
old Screen Resolution GUI in 7.04 used to have a Hardware tab that let
you go through a pull-down box list of monitor manufacturer to select
which you have.  There were also Generic options you could choose
also.  This went MIA also.

The lists I've been directed to talk to are frequented by the actual
"developers" who do the work that makes every new release of Ubuntu
possible.  With direct access to the developers the chances of
actually getting this problem fixed for good just went up
exponentially.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts