OT: Steve Jobs' Walled Garden is Crumbling

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed May 19 02:56:16 BST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 19, 2010 08:27 AM, Michael Haney wrote:
>> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM, David Sanders
>> <dsuzukisanders at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Indeed -this is fine in gmail, and if everyone used gmail there'd be
>>> no problem. I believe it not to be fine in other mail clients (from
>>> what I've heard on this list).
>>>
>>> To be clear: this isn't something I've ever moaned about - I don't
>>> care about getting extra mail - but quite a few others have complained
>>> about it and still nothing has been done to prevent it.
>>>
>>> As another aside - I don't accept the idea that sending email to this
>>> list means I then want to receive unsolicited personal e-mail - so
>>> no-one should be sending personal emails to list members without
>>> asking first on the list IMO. This being the case, I doubt very much
>>> that any personal email will be posted if the Reply-To: header is
>>> modified. In any case - it's going bike-shed shaped here!
>>>

>> Not fixing the headers on this list is like sitting in a sinking boat
>> and yelling at the water gushing in through the hole in the bottom to
>> stop and expecting it to obey.
>>

> /me quite happy with the way this list is setup and wishes the
> ubuntu-users list was similarly setup to facilitate private replies
> without having to muck about.

With that statement you then forfeit the right to complain about
receiving unsolicited emails to your private address meant for the
list by accident.  It is only right since you're inconveniencing so
many others by not fixing the headers.  The same should go for anyone
else opposed to fixing the headers.  You loose the right to complain
about receiving unsolicited emails from list users by accident.

Who else who thinks the headers need to be fixed agrees with me?  If
we need to be inconvenienced and so do you.  Its only fair.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts