OT: Steve Jobs' Walled Garden is Crumbling

David Sanders dsuzukisanders at gmail.com
Tue May 18 16:32:58 BST 2010

On 18 May 2010 11:29, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 May 2010 03:05, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Harold Sawyer <hrsawyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> This is also a test.  Did you get two messages????? :-) !!!
>
>> no, just one.
>

> In this case, Gmail is being "helpful" and not showing duplicate message IDs.
>
> (Also, it just refuses to send you messages you posted, even if you ask it to.)

Indeed -this is fine in gmail, and if everyone used gmail there'd be
no problem. I believe it not to be fine in other mail clients (from
what I've heard on this list).

To be clear: this isn't something I've ever moaned about - I don't
care about getting extra mail - but quite a few others have complained
about it and still nothing has been done to prevent it.

As another aside - I don't accept the idea that sending email to this
list means I then want to receive unsolicited personal e-mail - so
no-one should be sending personal emails to list members without
asking first on the list IMO. This being the case, I doubt very much
that any personal email will be posted if the Reply-To: header is
modified. In any case - it's going bike-shed shaped here!