Taking A Break from Ubuntu

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Mon May 17 04:02:18 BST 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Sunday, May 16, 2010 08:31 PM, Michael Haney wrote:
>> I've decided to take a nice long break from Ubuntu.
>>

> Sure ain't surprised. After the 7.04 fiasco with NetworkManager when
> setting Ubuntu up for a friend's son a long time ago, I decided to give
> it an honest try myself and I have hardy at work and a hardy -> inteprid
> -> jaunty at home but frankly, I ain't going to think that the hassles
> involved are worth the single convenience of easy binary Nvidia drivers
> and the ability to do a do-release-upgrade. Not when you can get
> something similar for Fedora too at least binary Nvidia driver-wise.

I haven't been able to get a RPM version of Wallpaper Tray (Gnome
applet) for Mandriva.  Its only available as a DEB package.  I did
find a Python script that generates XML for Gnome desktop slideshows.
I'm an Otaku and I have about 2GB of JPGs, PNGs, and GIFs of
anime/manga characters and original characters created by artists from
Devianart.com.  Its working out ok so far.

Got Gnome Do installed in Docky mode.  Tried Cairo and it was sluggish
and really buggy.  Was probably meant for a machine with a lot more
horses under the hood than what I have.  Installed Google Chrome and
the extensions I usually use.  Got the "ugly" gstreamer codecs
installed so I can play MP3s, and despite some minor differences
Mandriva 2010 isn't much different than Ubuntu 9.10.  Its not as
polished as 10.04 in some areas.  I did find Alien, a tool that lets
you use RPM and Slackware packages on a RedHat based distro so maybe I
can finally get Wallpaper Tray installed.

Playing with Mandriva has shown me just how far ahead Ubuntu is from
other distro, in certain areas, but also how far behind Ubuntu is from
other distros, again in certain areas.  Its been a real learning
experience.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts