OT: Steve Jobs' Walled Garden is Crumbling

David Sanders dsuzukisanders at gmail.com
Thu May 13 20:05:13 BST 2010

On 13 May 2010 19:54, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM, David Sanders <dsuzukisanders at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Kindle/Sony/Nook etc are all in the region of HUNDREDS of hours. You
>> can take them on holiday for a week without a charger - y'know sort of
>> like a replacement for a book. iPad can't compete (and no, being over
>> 10 years old I don't look at picture books so I don't need colour).
>
> You are missing so many points in so many directions that it's hard to
> round up a few of them to point out your errors to you.

I don't believe I am missing any points - and I also believe the sales
figures will bear me out - this is an extremely small niche they've
carved for themselves and it won't revolutionise anything at all.

1) It's a bad e-book reader
2) It's a really bad web browser (no flash == web fail)
3) It's got a pathetically limited OS
4) It can't print (whatever your experience - most people print
photos, docs, letters all the time)
5) It can't be expanded
6) It's a really bad web browser (did I mention that?)

Err - what else does it do? Oh, I forgot, it can play "Rub The Breast"
or "$1,000,000 Diamond" from the App Store. God help us all if this
thing succeeds.