Valve Releasing Steam for Linux

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Wed May 12 20:21:20 BST 2010

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcement

Excerpt:

"Valve Corporation has today rolled out their Steam Mac OS X client to
the general public and confirmed something we have been reporting for
two years: the Steam content delivery platform and Source Engine are
coming to Linux. [...]

We have confirmed that Valve's latest and popular titles like
Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, and Team Fortress 2 are among the
first of the Steam Linux titles, similar to the Mac OS X support. The
released Linux client should be available by the end of summer.

Similar to Valve's strategy with Mac OS X, it's expected that they too
will be providing Linux game releases on the same day as Windows / Mac
OS X for their new titles and that there will be first-rate support
across all platforms. Portal II should mark the first of these
efforts. [...]

this should provide a huge opportunity for the Linux distributions and
other Linux stakeholders to prove their viability against Windows and
can begin attracting gamers if successfully leveraged. We have already
shown that in terms of OpenGL performance, Ubuntu 10.04 is on par with
Windows 7 for ATI/AMD and NVIDIA graphics and that Linux is a faster
gaming platform to Mac OS X."