Why apple is so popular

Erik Pomerantz epomerantz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 16:52:38 GMT 2010

Ihave owned a couple apples not too long ago.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Amedee Van Gasse
<amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be>wrote:

> On 16-03-10 19:09, user1 wrote:
> > Talked to my son in usa to day.
> >
> > He said, that the main reason apple is so popular in USA is:
> >
> > 1. The hardware is very stable and has a very good quality without hardly
> > any problems.

 That doesn't sound quite right to me. Whether I was in OS X or trying to
put linux on it, I always managed to screw it up. That said, I always push
computers to their limits. I am very mean to computers :)

> > 2. The Graphic is nice to look at.
> >
> > 3. Ease of use.
> >
> > 4. Very few viruses.

This is both what attracted me to sample Apple's OS, and why I moved away
from it., I could save 1/2 to 2/3 of my money and have more ability to
change whatever I want without any headaches.

> > So my conclusion is that linux is as good as apple except for the
> > hardware, which are all kinds of mixed brands and qualities.

I have managed to get plenty of new technologies built into the macbook
(keyboard light and some gestures) to work decently on Ubuntu (not quite as
well as OS X mind you) in the short time I managed to get Ubuntu to work.

> > My laptop (not apple) has been to be repaired twice.

In how much time? the Apple laptops I had  needed to be repaired twice in a
year. First time a fan controller caused the fan to go crazy, second time,
runaway logs filled up the system broke the wifi and significantly reduced
the overall performance permenantly. (how? I don't know) routinely deleting
logs helped but a huge pain.

> > My son has had two laptops (not apple) discarded, and he i now using a
> > netbook, which is hardly usable, everything is too small.
> >
> > So what is needed for the linux community is a very stable and good
> > quality hardware which works together.

I have a 15 inch laptop about 5 years old now running on Ubuntu which is
running very smoothly apart from some blocks that burned out on the hard
drive. The Apple lasted about a year and a half before I got so frustrated
with the thing that I scrapped OS X and attempt linux- CD drive was failing,
could barely go in live mode with a healthy cd the first time, second time
it would fail before even seeking devices. I could have made it live just a
little whle longer but  I was already disgusted with it and left it to
collect some dust.

> > Sorry if this is a little off topic, but it is an important subject.
> >
> > Please DO NOT make this a flame war, but think about it.
> >
> > I really want to make linux the BEST :-)

At this point I think it already is, I can throw as many nukes on it as I
please without feeling limited and without much damage. Then of course there
is the basics :)

Macs are nice for the computer illiterate escpecially in the User Interface,
but IMHO they are more like Sony laptops with their own crippled version of
linux (oops did I say that? :),that is of course if your idea of "fun" is
thrashing code or GUI commands to fix your own problems or fixing problems
for free rather than go spending a hundred dollars (or whatever currency) on
Tech Support.

I apologize if this sounds too much like flame(bait or war). I just wanted
to put in my 2 cents in the matter as i have some strong feelings about both
Microsoft and Apple in this matter. No offense is intended, take it or leave
it.