multi TB storage

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Mar 26 14:12:13 GMT 2010

David Gerard wrote:
> On 26 March 2010 13:23, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>
>> Oh certainly...just that #opensolaris ain't the best of places when you
>> need help nor their wonderful policy of 'stable' releases not getting
>> updates as in versions of certain 'consumer' software like samba unless
>> you image-update/dist-upgrade to the latest and greatest.
>

> Install a minimal system, install Samba etc by hand. Much like one
> does running Debian stable.

/me invites Amedee to try installing samba 3.4.x by hand.

> Solaris is sorta painful to do desktop with. But it's a great server
> OS. Well. A very seasoned and stable one.

I doubt that OpenSolaris would be at all painful as a desktop. GNOME
fans would be right at home I suspect. Then there is the fact that there
is no need to fiddle with graphics drivers if you have a Nvidia card
too. Maybe playing non flash based videos/music might be a problem
though initially.