An Ubuntu Friendly Printer Recommendation

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 13:36:53 GMT 2010

On 11 March 2010 13:29, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

[Epson]
>  FWIW, I never got any of them to scan. That's a whole separate
> download and install anyway.

Yes, I had this problem with my l33t photo inkjet too (Stylus RX-620)
- the printer Just Worked (identifying as RX-600), the scanner Just
Didn't.

Apparently Epson did silly things (all models identifying the same or
something like that) that SANE couldn't sensibly work with. Most
disappointing, as the printer bit was excellent in Ubuntu.

We hooked it to the Mac, and the scanning program that came with it
was a sterling example of unspeakably horrible hardware manufacturer
crapware. I assume the scanner part of the company and the printer
part of the company never talk to each other if they can possibly
avoid it. Since CUPS identified the printer as RX-600, this suggests
they build this "all in one" by bodging together two devices they had
lying around.

- d.