Default Ubuntu applications

David Sanders dsuzukisanders at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 15:21:04 GMT 2010

> GNOME and KDE4 have nothing near what you can get with KDE3 + kiosktool.
> If someone ports kiosktool over the KDE4, then it will just be GNOME
> left that cannot give users a different desktop based on their group.
> Couple of scripts and get something similar in GNOME? Right.

If you're talking about setting up desktop shortcuts and menus, why
couldn't this be done with a script? Well, to answer my own question
it *can* be done with a script. Just copy out the relevant desktop
folder based on the users group, how would that be hard to do? If
we're talking GUI group-policy editing a la Windows  then no it
doesn't exist, but scripts are easier IMO for any *nix admin worth
their salt. Another point being that GP from Windows was what KDE up
until KDE4 tried so tireless to copy, for nebulous reasons best known
to people who think the Windows GUI paradigm is anything other than a
totally illogical mess. I'm glad that Gnome threw the baby out with
the bathwater and tried again.